Character is the ability to follow through on a resolution long after the emotion with which it was made has passed. ~ Brian Tracy
Before starting this method, get your priorities straight. Ask: What is it that I want to get out of this? For example, if you want to change your perception of how you currently see things in life, I simple recommend you to listen to the Zig Ziglar’s “See You at The Top” series for 21 days straight and apply what you learn. Summarizing in my own words, Zig said that in order for a person to change, modify or learn something and to do it well, it must do it for 16 consecutive days so it will fall into the sub-conscious level and becomes part of you. Tony Robbins says very often that repetition is the mother of skills. You do something repeatedly and you become exactly that of what you wanted, it becomes part of you, anchoring into your character or skill. It took me 21 days to see the difference, so that is why I call it the 21-day character anchoring method.
After the 21 days, the material I learned got embedded into my sub-conscious and I was thinking and doing things automatically even without realizing it. If I skipped a day or stopped for a period of time I felt guilty because I thought all the effort I put through for 21 days straight was slipping away. This is powerful; you have to give it a try. The time frame depends how long is the book you’re going to read, the class to take, or the length of the audio book. Above all, the time and effort you put it. I listened to Ziglar’s “See you at the Top” series, more than 16 times within the 21 day period. I particularly liked this series because it was my first motivational material I came across almost 10 years ago. I was captivated by Zig Ziglar’s motivational speeches, His attitude and I listen to step-by-step instructions on how to change the way I think about myself and my surroundings. It changed my thinking and my life. Believe it! You stick with the 21 days straight, non-stop and you will feel the change, I believe it is true. If you believe you can do it, that you can change and that you deserve to change for the better and give your very best effort, my friend you will change.
Let me describe this method in these simple steps:
- Define what I want. What is my ultimate goal? Change my self- image, attitude? Change, learn or improve a habit or skill? Etc. be honest and determined. YOU want this change because?…
- Find positive, reading or audio material to educate yourself about it what you’re about to do.
- Do it, start reading, listening, learning. Go to a class if necessary. If reading or listening, go through the book or audio series complete without taking notes. Let it sink in.
- After going through the material once, summarize in your own words what you just learned and write it down. Think about how you feel, did you get the material? Did it sink in? If yes, go to the next step. If not, re-evaluate your feeling and goals. If you feel that it doesn’t move you, go back to step one and start all over. No problem, nothing is wasted; you just learned something you didn’t know about. If however, you feel something good about this or want to give it another look, go to the next step. I prefer this choice.
- Re-read or re-listened to your material again. This is an eye opener stage. It either makes it or breaks it. Here you will find out if you’re on the right track or need to go back to square one. In this step you will grasp all the information again and you will note that either you’ve missed some information, you understood something you didn’t get before or that something is making sense or not at all. You may take notes or highlights at this point, but don’t analyze too much. Go to the next step.
- In this step you will start taking action implementing what you just re-learned. You are excited, motivated and eager to try it. Make an action step list from your notes and start doing it, start being, believing in the material. Re-read/listen to your material until the 21 days is up. After that period go over the material often, review it and look for other similar material, subjects or start another project.
Get motivated, change what you don’t like, be who you want to be and like Zig would say ” I’ll see you and yes I mean YOU at the top!”